Tuesday 26 October 2021

How to Hobby

Throughout the years I have taken up many hobbies. That is, I have had many ideas of great hobbies, purchased the supplies for them, unpacked the supplies and lined them up on the dining table, aka the hobby space, ready to be used for the fabulous projects I have planned.


A few years back we had an exchange student from Germany. Maya, the Enthusiastic Kid, is a lovely girl, had much of the same interests as we do and she could quite frankly have been our’s. I got the idea that we ought to have matching pyjamas to wear around the house. Long Suffering Husband and Enthusiastic Kid were both thrilled with the idea. We were imagining how lovely we would all look sitting around the Christmas tree in our matching pyjamas, how we’d be the ideal family having healthy breakfasts, cuddle up together on the couch watching It’s a wonderful life… You get the picture.


Off I went to the haberdashery together with EK, bought a sewing machine, fabric, patterns and all the stuff you need to sew clothes. Having dragged all this home we subsequently unpacked all the bags and admired our purchases. There all of the stuff sat on the dining room table in all its glory and continued doing so until two days before Christmas when we realised we had to scurryfunge it all since we were expecting eight guests for dinner on Christmas day.


Two years later I had still not made any pyjamas, nor used the sewing machine, so I gave it all to Mother.


Since then I have planned and shopped for several other hobbies. I own embroidery kits, crocheting supplies, wreath making stuff, things to take up card-making and scrap-booking, oil paint and canvases and various other hobby stuff. All of which are boxed up in storage 500 km from here.


I have realised that I do, in fact, have a hobby though it may not be the most respectable. My hobby is shopping for hobby supplies!


No comments:

Post a Comment