Saturday 15 September 2012

Caught red handed


Awake at the crack of dawn – quite literally – this beautiful Saturday morning I am already planning today’s great adventures. Since I fell asleep before 10 pm last night I was up at 5 am and, as I have promised the Long Suffering Husband to do the cooking today, I am starting to prepare one of the few dishes I actually have mastered – a classic Russian Borscht.

The plan is to prepare all the veggies and the bacon and stock in the fabulous old Invicta pot I got from Mother, pop it all in the oven and let it slow cook whilst we go up the woods in search of some delightful mushrooms. It all sounds like the perfect weekend treat for a perfect suburban family. What could possibly go wrong? Perhaps tomorrow we'll put a roast in the oven before walking to the village church for Sunday service as well! Anyway, today a trip up the woods together with friends are in the cards.

I'm actually quite the mushroom picker! Usually I stick to Boletes, as there are no poisonous ones in this neck of the woods (pun intended). Destroying Angel I am also very proficient in finding, but those we are saving for an extra special treat.

In the afternoon I will harvest the Elderberry bush and make some lovely jam.

There is only one draw back with today's plans – the grating of beetroot for the soup stains your hands something silly! Makes you look like you've been through a blood bath for days. I have yet to come up with a solution for this. I tried making LSH grate the beetroot, but the sight of his stained hands are just as sickening as seeing my own. Grating wearing Marigolds isn't really an option since I definitely prefer not to get little pieces of latex in my soup, and the food processor broke a long time ago.

The perils of a Suburban Wife are many!

No comments:

Post a Comment